ABOUT THE DE BEERS GROUP OF COMPANIES:
De Beers is a member of the Anglo American plc group. Established in 1888, De Beers is the world’s leading diamond company with unrivalled expertise in the exploration, mining and marketing of diamonds. Together with its joint venture partners, De Beers employs more than 15 000 people across the diamond pipeline, and is the world’s largest diamond producer, by value, with mining operations in Botswana, Canada, Namibia and South Africa. As part of the company’s operating philosophy, the people of De Beers are committed to Living up to Diamonds by making a lasting contribution to the communities in which they live and work, and transforming natural resources into shared national wealth. For further information about De Beers visit www.debeersgroup.com.
ABOUT DE BEERS MARINE:
De Beers Marine (DBM) is based in Cape Town, South Africa and is part of the De Beers Group. Operations include marine geophysical survey, sampling, and mining. Shore based activities include projects, engineering, R&D and maintenance. Projects include establishment and development of a fleet of mining ships and all associated equipment. DBM is the industry leader in marine mining practices resulting in the most successful and advanced marine mining equipment and operations globally.
ABOUT THE AMV3 PROJECT:
The Additional Mining Vessel 3 (AMV3) project is for the delivery of a new crawler diamond mining vessel for offshore operations in Namibia. The vessel detailed design will be completed by Damen in the Netherlands and Norway and the construction and delivery of the vessel with most of its Electrical and A&I systems will be completed by Damen Mangalia, in Romania.
The planned build period is from May 2019 to March 2021. Following delivery of the vessel platform, the vessel will sail to Cape Town where the majority of mining equipment will be installed on board including some electrical and A&I systems but with strong focus on the Integration of electrical and A&I systems with systems already installed on the vessel.
Please refer to the attached job description for further information:
DESCRIPTION OF THE JOB:
De Beers Marine requires the services of an Electrical and A&I engineer for the design, construction and delivery of the AMV3. The successful incumbent will be involved with the planning, execution and co-ordination of the electrical and automation, control and instrumentation engineering functions for the AMV3 project during the built phase of the vessel in the shipyard and will primarily be based in Mangalia, Romania for the duration of the built process. The provision of integration and commissioning assistance in South Africa following vessel delivery may additionally be required.
- BSc / BEng Electrical or Electronics or B.Tech Electrical or Electronics
- Pr Eng registered or eligible (Beneficial)
- 7 years relevant post qualification experience as an Electrical, Electronics, Automation, Control and Instrumentation Engineer, ideally in the marine environment, 5 years new building experience in a shipyard constructing offshore/construction or similar type vessels.
- Exposure to marine vessels with minimum DP2 positioning systems would be advantageous.
- Exposure to marine vessels with medium and low voltage installations.
- A good understanding of:
- digital electronics, processor systems and computer operating systems
- analog electronics
- marine navigation and communication systems
- communication protocol eg. RS 232, RS 485, Can Bus, Ethernet
- Electrical and A&I Operational and Maintenance Experience / Exposure
- Exposure and familiarization with old and new technology, and experience in implementation of new technology
- Familiar with SANS, IEC, SOLAS and Ships Classification Society Standards
- A good understanding of electrical engineering design (Distribution Network Design, Short Circuit Calculations, Harmonic Distortion, Power Generation) utilizing electrical simulation software to evaluate distribution networks (ETAP)
- Power management system development and integrated automation system implementation.
- Automation, Control and Instrumentation Engineering and Design
- Detailed understanding of Yokogawa DCS process control environment, Allen Bradley PLC Systems and industrial instrumentation
- Assimilation of knowledge gained into appropriate format, and build competency knowledge base
- Dissemination of technology/know-how (tech-transfer) through reports, presentations, and discussion
- External search: Yes
- Secondment terms: If applicable
- Submit applications on or before the Closing Date: 31 May 2019, 11:55 pm SA Standard Time
Apply Now Here